We had a good session on Vera today
- I even got to paint something! I
coated all of the recent weld seams
with brushable primer.
wheel arch ready for a covering of
sprayable black underseal.
big job was to weld the heater channel
into place. The new channel really
didn't want to fit into place but
after a bit of cutting, clamping and
pushing we got it in.
front section was welded into place
after we fitted the door to make sure
that it was still in the shape it
was meant to be.
panel had to be welded back a bit
as it had decided not to let the door
close properly. The previous repair
on this panel was a bit of a mess
as it had not been primed so this
will require a bit of repair too.
view of heater channel as it is being
welded into place. We have decided
that we will be filling the channels
with waxoil too as the ones that we
removed were totally rotten and these
ones were actually replacements!
While I've been playing with my new
'bean to cup' coffee machine and MacBook
Tony has been steaming ahead!
we suspected the off-side of Vera
is pretty rotten.
front chassis mountings are all rotten.
they have now been repaired!
Preparing the floor plan to take the
new heater channels was quite a big
job as the old section just pulled
off due to rust.
braced and ready to take the front
length now fitted and ready for the
recently primed heater channels. Vera
has had at least two set of channels
now but hopefully after some oxide
primer and waxoil these ones will
last a bit longer.
Well it's nearly the end of
the first year for Vera and she is
beginning to come together now. Although
she may not look it she is in much
better condition now with lots of
holes welded and problems identified.
the bottom of the spare tyre holder
means that one side of Vera is now
ready to be seam sealed and primed.
has had two new jacking points fitted
(VW store in Haxby) and there is a
new rear apron ready to weld on -
probably on top of a bit of the old
one as that looks like the simplest
As Tony said
"Oh dear, it's made of plastic."
Lots of work is going to be needed
when you look a the state of the rust
underneath - at least this time the
work will be done properly not just
last some good news - the back of
this side is in good condition - we
had to rebuild the whole section on
the other side.